Last revised July 23, 2021
For California residents, please click here to learn more about your privacy rights.
2. Who We Are
3. What Data We Collect
The data we collect depends on the context of your interactions with H1 and the choices you make, the products and features you use, your location, and applicable laws, but can include the following:
Information we collect automatically. As you navigate through and interact with the Site, our emails or products and services, we may automatically collect certain information about your equipment, browsing actions and patterns using common internet technologies, such as cookies andWeb beacons. This may include details of your visits to the Site, including information about your connectivity, such as your IP address and browser information, location data, logs and other communication data, and the resources that you access and use on the Site. This information helps us to improve the Site and to deliver better and more personalized content and services by enabling us to estimate our audience size and usage patterns and recognize you when you return to the Site.
Information you provide to us. For example, when you navigate the Site, fill out one of our forms, create an account, purchase our products or services, contact us or otherwise communicate with us, we may request or you may choose to provide us with certain personal information. For security purposes, we may also collect personal information from you if you visit one of our offices.
The types of personal information you may provide include:
- Contact information (such as your name, job title, company name, email address, postal address, phone number, fax number);
- Troubleshooting or support (we may ask you for information when you report a problem with the Site, products or services, such as information about the problem you are experiencing);
- Account log-in credentials (including your username and password); and
- Payment information (including your credit card numbers and associated identifiers, billing address and background information, but only where you pay for our services).
Information we collect about you from third party sources: We collect or acquire certain publicly available business and professional information about you. For example, we collect personal information about you from: public databases (such as PubMed); corporate websites; public news sources; university conference and NGO websites; and third-party data providers with a legal basis.
The types of personal information we may collect include:
- Professional details (such as information about your position, title, education, degree, practice, scholarship, and specialities);
- Contact information (such as your name, business email address, postal address, phone number, fax number);
- Content, publications and media available in the public record (such as journals; research papers or articles you have published or feature in; clinical trials where you are named as an investigator; speeches or lectures you have given; etc.); and
- Your social media URL / username and content you post (but only if publicly available).
Information you provide to us: We also encourage H1Experts to actively engage with and contribute to the H1 platform. Therefore, we may process personal information you choose to provide to us, which could include any of the above-described business and professional information. In addition, if you sign up for an H1 account to access and use our Services as an End User, we will collect the personal information described above in the section headed "End Users". If you would like to learn more about the H1 platform and provide your input to help us build something valuable to healthcare practitioners and collaborators everywhere, please visit our website.
We may combine the above described information we collect from or about you with information our clients provide about you to provide them with more complete datasets. We only use the information our clients provide us about Experts as a data processor for their benefit and in accordance with their instructions.
4. How We Use Your Information and the Legal Bases
- Assessing and improving our Site: We may process device and usage data to analyze trends in order to assess and improve the overall user experience to the extent it is necessary for our legitimate interests in developing and improving the Site;
- Promoting the security of our Site: We process your personal information by tracking use of our Site and services, creating aggregated, non-personal information, verifying accounts and activity, investigating suspicious activity and enforcing our terms and policies, to the extent this is necessary for our legitimate interest in promoting the safety, integrity and security of the Site and our services and in protecting our rights and the rights of others;
- Managing user registrations: If you have registered for an account with us, we process your personal information by managing your user account for the purpose of performing our contract with you according to applicable terms of service or if we do not have a contract directly with you, we base the processing of your personal information on our legitimate interests;
- Sending administrative communications: We may process your personal information for the purposes of sending you information related the Site and our services such as confirmations, invoices, expiration and renewal notices, technical notices and support and administrative messages to perform our contract with you or if we have not contracted directly with you, in reliance on our legitimate interests;
- Registering office visitors: We may process your personal information for security reasons, to register visitors to our offices and to manage non-disclosure agreements that visitors may be required to sign, to the extent such processing is necessary for our legitimate interest in protecting our offices and our confidential information against unauthorized access;
- Displaying personalized advertisements and content: We may process your personal information to conduct marketing research, advertise to you, provide personalized information about us on and off our Site and to provide other personalized content based upon your activities and interests to the extent it is necessary for our legitimate interest in advertising our Site and services, or where necessary, to the extent you have provided your prior consent;
- Sending marketing communications: We will process your personal information to send you marketing information, product recommendations and other non-transactional communications (e.g. marketing newsletters, telemarketing calls, SMS, or push notification) about in accordance with your marketing preferences, including information about our products or services, as necessary for our legitimate interest in conducting direct marketing or to the extent you have provided your prior consent (please see the "Your Privacy Rights" section, below, to learn how you can control the processing of your personal information by us for marketing purposes);
- Complying with legal obligations: We process your personal information when cooperating with public and government authorities, courts or regulators in accordance with our legal obligations under applicable laws to the extent this requires the processing or disclosure of personal information to protect our rights or is necessary for our legitimate interest in protecting against misuse or abuse of our Site, protecting personal property or safety, pursuing remedies available to us and limiting our damages, complying with judicial proceedings, court orders or legal processes or to respond to lawful requests;
- Creating Anonymous Statistics: We may anonymize your personal information for the purposes of creating internal statistics ("Reports"), for example product research to help us improve our Site. All information disclosed in the Reports shall only include anonymized data that does not identify you. We may in turn pass these Reports onto third parties; and
- For our business purposes: We may process your personal information for our legitimate business purposes, such as data analysis, audits, to protect, investigate, and deter against fraudulent, unauthorized, or illegal activity, developing new products, product research, enhancing, improving or modifying our Site and services, identifying usage trends, determining the effectiveness of our promotional campaigns and operating and expanding our business activities.
- Providing our Site and services: If you are an Expert we use your personal information to make datasets available to our clients who have purchased a license to access our database through our Site as necessary for our (and our clients) legitimate interests in supporting our client's strategic initiatives such as their research, sales and marketing activities or to help them connect with Experts with whom they may wish to engage for collaboration, research, speaking opportunities, clinical trials, or partnerships.
For example, we collect and store publicly available professional information about any thought leadership, professional accomplishments, scholarly articles or medical developments Experts are responsible for, as well as their professional contact details. This means (for example) our clients who are looking to find a healthcare expert with particular specialisms can easily search our database to find information about that Expert and their professional work in order to support the client's strategic initiatives (for example, to contact Experts with information about projects they may be interested in). We also may make your information available to our clients for direct download or via a data feed where they have a license granting such access.
- Complying with legal obligations: We process your personal information when cooperating with public and government authorities, courts or regulators in accordance with our legal obligations under applicable laws to the extent this requires the processing or disclosure of personal information to protect our rights or is necessary for our legitimate interest in protecting against misuse or abuse of our Site, protecting personal property or safety, pursuing remedies available to us and limiting our damages, complying with judicial proceedings, court orders or legal processes or to respond to lawful requests.
5. How We Share Your Personal Information
We may disclose your personal information to the following categories of recipients:
- To a buyer or other successor in the event of a merger, acquisition, divestiture, restructuring, reorganization, dissolution or other sale or transfer of some or all of H1's assets, in which personal information held by H1 about the Site users is among the assets transferred;
- To our subsidiaries, affiliates, agents, contractors, service providers and other third parties we use to support our business or collaborate with and who are bound by contractual obligations to keep personal information confidential and use it only for the purposes of providing services for or with us;
- To comply with any court order, law or legal process, including to respond to any government or regulatory request;
- To protect the rights, property or security of H1, our employees, our users or others;
- To any other personal with your consent to disclosure.
We take your security seriously and take reasonable steps to protect and secure your personal information from unauthorized access, use, and disclosure. We have implemented adequate technical and organizational measures to protect personal information against unauthorized, accidental or unlawful destruction, loss, alteration, misuse, disclosure or access and against all other unlawful forms of processing. These security measures have been implemented taking into account the state of the art of the technology, their cost of implementation, the risks presented by the processing and the nature of the personal information, with particular care for sensitive data.
The safety and security of your information also depends on you. Where we have given you (or where you have chosen) a password for access to certain parts of the Site, products, or services, you are responsible for keeping this password confidential. Please do not share your password with anyone.
Although we take reasonable security measures to protect your personal information, for example, by using Secure Socket Layer encryption when you transmit your password, we cannot guarantee the security of your personal information transmitted to theSite. The transmission of information via the internet is not 100% secure and we cannot ensure or warrant the security of any information you transmit to us.We are not responsible for circumvention of any privacy settings or security measures contained on the Site.
7. Data Retention
We retain personal information we collect from you where we have an ongoing legitimate business need to do so (for example, to provide you with a service you have requested or to comply with applicable legal, tax or accounting requirements).
When we have no ongoing legitimate business need to process your personal information, we will either delete or anonymize it or, if this is not possible (for example, because your personal information has been stored in backup archives), then we will securely store your personal information and isolate it from any further processing until deletion is possible.
8. International Data Transfers
Your personal information may be transferred to, and processed in, countries other than the country in which you are resident. These countries may have data protection laws that are different to the laws of your country (and, in some cases, may not be as protective).
If you are resident in or a visitor from the EEA, United Kingdom or Switzerland, we will protect your personal information when it is transferred outside of such locations by processing it in a territory which the European Commission has determined provides an adequate level of protection for personal information; or otherwise implementing appropriate safeguards to protect your personal information, including through the use of Standard Contractual Clauses; complying with the Privacy Shield Framework for transfers of personal information from EEA, UK and Switzerland to US (see below) or another lawful transfer mechanism approved by the European Commission.
If you require further information about our international transfers of personal information, please contact us using the contact details in the “Contact Us” section further below.
9. Privacy Shield
H1 Insights, Inc. has certified its compliance with the EU-US and Swiss-US Privacy Shield Frameworks as set forth by the US Department of Commerce with respect to personal information concerning individuals from the EEA, UK and Switzerland. Please see our Privacy Shield Notice to learn more.
If there is any conflict between the terms in this Notice and the Privacy Shield Principles, the Privacy Shield Principles shall govern.
10. Cookies and Similar Tracking Technologies
Fullstory: We use Fullstory to provide a better user experience for you and collect data to diagnose end user issues. Further information about the cookies used by FullStory can be found at: www.fullstory.com/legal/terms-and-conditions/.
You can opt-out of Fullstory support analytics within the Services by visiting https://www.fullstory.com/optout/.
11. Children Under 13
The Site is not directed to children under the age of thirteen (13). H1 does not knowingly collect personal information without the consent of a parent or legal guardian. If you become aware that your child has provided us with personal information without your consent, please contact us. H1 shall take the necessary steps to remove the personal information collected.
12. Your Privacy Rights
Where we are acting as a controller, and depending on your location and subject to applicable law, you may have the following rights with regard to the personal information we control about you:
- You can access, correct, update, delete, and deactivate your personal information;
- In addition, if you are a resident of or visitor from the EEA, you can object to processing of your personal information, ask us to restrict processing of your personal information or request portability of your personal information;
- You can opt out of receiving marketing communications from us at any time. If you do not wish to receive marketing communications from us, you can opt-out by sending us an e-mail at email@example.com. If you choose to no longer receive marketing information, we may still communicate with you regarding such things as your security updates, product functionality, responses to service requests, or other transactional, non-marketing purposes
- Similarly, if we have collected and process your personal information with your consent, then you can withdraw your consent at any time. Withdrawing your consent will not affect the lawfulness of any processing we conducted prior to your withdrawal, nor will it affect processing of your personal information conducted in reliance on lawful processing grounds other than consent; and
- You have the right to complain to a data protection authority about our collection and use of your personal information. For more information, please contact your local data protection authority. Contact details for data protection authorities in EEA are available here.
We respond to all requests we receive from individuals wishing to exercise their data protection rights in accordance with applicable data protection laws. Depending on your jurisdiction, you may be able to exercise any privacy rights that may be available to you by visiting our privacy preference center here. Alternatively, you can contact us using the details provided below.
13. Links to Third Party Websites
We may place links on the H1 Service, including the H1 Blog. When you click on a link from our website to a third-party website, your activity and use is governed by that website’s policies; not by those of H1. We are not responsible for the information practices of such third parties. We encourage you to review their privacy and user policies.
15. Contact Us
16. Client-Specific Notes
Click here for additional disclosure information from certain clients.